Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tip of the moment

Let us always remember, cooking is an art and baking is a science.  Sure, I prefer baking to cooking personally, but when playing with recipes it is always good to keep in mind that if you are cooking, as long as you have a basic idea of how tastes go together and what you like, you can substitute and change pretty much everything.  When it comes to baking, however, changing a recipe takes knowledge of what the substitutions will do to your recipe.  Baking is all about chemical reactions with things like baking soda ... okay I may have watched too much Magic school bus and Bill Nye the science guy as a child... but it is true.  Let me just say that cooking is a free-for-all and when it comes to baking you really do need to measure those ingredients.  I still remember my first muffins I baked, with the lumps of baking soda dryly exploding in my mouth every so often... I was pretty young then... but lesson learned I suppose

No comments:

Post a Comment